Happy New Year! 2013 was not a very good quilting year for me. I spent most of the year working on the “Love Quilt”…a pattern by Tula Pink.
You should be able to click on this picture to see it larger and see a sample of the quilting.
I think it looks awesome on the bed! It’s big enough to tuck the bottom in, and have the pillows covered. The best thing, though, is to hear Bubba say “I love this quilt…it’s big and warm and heavy.”
I’m happy to report that I’ve started out 2014 like a house afire! I’ve already completed a top!! Okay, so it’s a baby quilt, but that’s beside the point. I believe the baby shower is going to be at the end of January, so I’m on a tight deadline.
I am trying to sew from my stash, so I already had an idea of what fabric I would use, but not a pattern. I had a couple of layer cakes and 3 pieces of small yardage of Pure by Sweetwater that I have been
hoarding saving for several years. As my co-worker is having a baby boy, I thought the colors would be perfect…masculine, not baby-ish, but sweet.
So, I picked about 6 patterns and posed them to Bubba for his opinion. He chose a pattern from Karen Montgomery called “Fresh Vanilla” which I had torn out of a “Quilts and More” magazine from Summer 2009. The pattern is for a quilt that finishes at 64.5″ x 80.5″…which is kind of big for a baby quilt! So, I adapted it to fit my needs.
The original pattern had 5 sets of “bricks”, which I cut down to 3 and made the bricks 6.5″ x 8.5″ unfinished, instead of 8.5″ x 20.5″. The ratio of width to height is, obviously, not the same, but I really like the look.
I drew my plan out on graph paper and added numbers up, made a change to my background fabric because I didn’t have enough of the directional “word” piece. I put my strips of bricks together with the sashing, and then started joining the strips together with the 28″ of sashing I had calculated and cut…only to realize I needed 28.5″ of sashing in order to not have a wavy, pucker-y quilt. That was at 9:00 last night.
This afternoon, I unsewed and re-sewed, and after a couple of hours, I had a completed top:
So, here’s hoping for a completed quilt in a couple of weeks!
Thanks for stopping by!!
It's once again time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy's Creative Side.
I’m entering “Christmas Beauty” in the favorite wall hanging category. This little quilt is 12″ by 12″ and was my first foray into New York Beauty blocks. I made it about 4 years ago. I used paper piecing patterns I found online. It was a bit challenging to use some stiffer, sparkly Christmas fabrics in the tiny paper piecing spots, but I love the way this little wall hanging turned out.
Thank you for stopping by!
So, in my last post I told y’all that I was going to be making my bridal bouquet. I’ve got maybe 1/2 of the flowers “pieced” together and thought I would share them with you. I’m using the Kanzashi makers from Clover …in the round petal 2- and 3-inch sizes. I had a bunch of Dupioni Silk in some nice jewel-y colors. A trip to Joann Fabrics netted my some other “fancy” fabrics.
Here is what I’ve got so far:
Some 2-inch flowers. The centers are different sparkly buttons. My sweet groom has been in charge of bending the flower wire in half and twisting in the buttons for me. I haven’t glued them in, yet. That’s on the schedule for tonight.
Some 3-inch flowers. I know some of them look a little mal-formed. The great thing is that I will be able to manipulate them so they look better. Also on the schedule tonight is to cut and glue on the backings for the larger flowers.
Thanks for looking!
hence, there hasn’t been anything new to read here. And, I feel badly about that for the 1 or 2 people who might stop by. I’m still working on the “Love” quilt. It’s 1/2 quilted. I may or may not finish it before we move to the house. Oh, what house, you ask? We’re building a house!
Yay! It’s supposed to be finished mid-September, which is good because our lease is up October 6, and we had to give a 60-day notice.
This is what the back of the house looked like last week. It pretty much looks the same today because they ran out of bricks. We’re still waiting for the sheet rock to be nailed up, too. Once that happens, the inside detail work can be done.
We started packing today – about 10 boxes down, and a whole bunch more to go. We started out with either 50 or 60 boxes, I don’t remember. And, I’m guessing we’ll need a few more.
Stay tuned, though, for another post in a few days. I’m in the process of making my bouquet for the wedding. Silk Kanzashi-style flowers.
Soooooo…I didn’t get the Tula Love quilt finished by Valentine’s Day. In fact,
It’s still under the needle of my machine. I had about 1/4 of one of the 2 blue sections quilted, but didn’t like it…so I spent quite a few hours “unsewing”.
So, I’m linking up again for March with the “Love” quilt. My understanding boyfriend said, “That’s okay. We’ll have it for NEXT Valentine’s Day.” But, he didn’t disagree with me when I said, “Maybe I should start my new Christmas quilt now.”
Here is a bit of my quilting:
It’s time to set my goal for February!
It is my version of Tula Pink’s “LOVE” Quilt. I have to add the 4 big pieces to the “LOVE” section and then quilt and bind it. I’m hoping to get the top finished and the quilt sandwich made and pinned tomorrow…maybe even get the quilting started. This will be the biggest quilt I have ever done on my domestic machine. Wish me luck!
Head over to Sew BittterSweet Designs to check out what other people have as their February goal!
So, a few days ago, I sneak-peaked a look at my Stain’d Glass Iris. The first in my “Year of Lovely Finishes.” I’m very happy to actually have finished, not only on time, but early!
It’s not big – about 13.5 in x 20 in. I was glad to be able to do all my quilting with thread I already had. Yay! And, I’ve started on my February finish. No pictures, yet, though.
Linking up to the party over at Sew Bittersweet Designs!