Lori's Weblog

Archive for January 2014

Happy New Year! 2013 was not a very good quilting year for me. I spent most of the year working on the “Love Quilt”…a pattern by Tula Pink.

IMG_1506
This was the day I finally finished the quilting…it’s not easy to quilt a queen-size quilt on a domestic machine.

IMG_1509

You should be able to click on this picture to see it larger and see a sample of the quilting.

IMG_1514

I think it looks awesome on the bed! It’s big enough to tuck the bottom in, and have the pillows covered. The best thing, though, is to hear Bubba say “I love this quilt…it’s big and warm and heavy.”

I’m happy to report that I’ve started out 2014 like a house afire! I’ve already completed a top!! Okay, so it’s a baby quilt, but that’s beside the point. I believe the baby shower is going to be at the end of January, so I’m on a tight deadline.

I am trying to sew from my stash, so I already had an idea of what fabric I would use, but not a pattern. I had a couple of layer cakes and 3 pieces of small yardage of Pure by Sweetwater that I have been hoarding saving for several years. As my co-worker is having a baby boy, I thought the colors would be perfect…masculine, not baby-ish, but sweet.

So, I picked about 6 patterns and posed them to Bubba for his opinion. He chose a pattern from Karen Montgomery called “Fresh Vanilla” which I had torn out of a “Quilts and More” magazine from Summer 2009. The pattern is for a quilt that finishes at 64.5″ x 80.5″…which is kind of big for a baby quilt! So, I adapted it to fit my needs.

The original pattern had 5 sets of “bricks”, which I cut down to 3 and made the bricks 6.5″ x 8.5″ unfinished, instead of 8.5″ x 20.5″. The ratio of width to height is, obviously, not the same, but I really like the look.

I drew my plan out on graph paper and added numbers up, made a change to my background fabric because I didn’t have enough of the directional “word” piece. I put my strips of bricks together with the sashing, and then started joining the strips together with the 28″ of sashing I had calculated and cut…only to realize I needed 28.5″ of sashing in order to not have a wavy, pucker-y quilt. That was at 9:00 last night.

This afternoon, I unsewed and re-sewed, and after a couple of hours, I had a completed top:

IMG_1511
I think it’s adorable!

IMG_1513
A close-up look at the fabrics I used.

So, here’s hoping for a completed quilt in a couple of weeks!

Thanks for stopping by!!
Lori


Quilting Bloggers Logo





In the Good Ol’ Summertime Mini Quilt Swap






>br>


A Lovely Year of Finishes
January 2014
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Aug »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031